Friday, December 08, 2006

Starting to make my Christmas cards

Background 2
Watercolour paper, acrylic inks, tissue paper, PVA glue, glitter glue, glitter

As I am currently relishing being inspired by other artists I've started making Christmas cards following this tutorial in a blog called Art Tutorial .

The photos haven't come out quite right - even after I adjusted the colours - but you can see the general idea. Just imagine them brighter and glittery!

Whilst I was dropping drops of colourful inks onto damp paper - I told Jim it was the best fun possible - without seeing what I was doing he asked me if I was making a mess. It seems that I really enjoy making what other people consider a mess... and no, he's not the first person to make this observation. So I am glorying in being what my father would call a mucky puppy...

The two sheets here are my reds, I've also done a couple of greens, and a couple of blues. I intended to do something very subtle in shades of white but somehow that didn't happen. Mucky puppies like bright colours!

Background 1

This one also has flower petals from some unused natural confetti and the black dots are red sequins.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

so good to get personalised cards instead of shop bought ones!

Joy Eliz said...

Beautiful!!! Thanks for the Art Tutorial link - there's some great stuff there!

Anonymous said...

Your cards are turning out beautifully. I love the bright colors!
I'm something of a mucky puppy myself. Actually quite a bit of one...I'm probably lucky they let me come inside at all. :-)

andrea said...

What fun! This sounds like a super activity to do in pairs or threes with lots of tea and laughter. Next year, OK? :)

I made some lame cards today for the people I bought gift certificates for (I know that's cheating but the gift cards were a school fundraiser) using red and green construction paper, hand-cut acetate stencil, iridescent white paint and silver gel pen. SO simple.

I checked out the art tutorial blog. The cards are gorgeous -- I love her collages and so I just subscribed. Excellent discovery, Mrs R.

Karen Jinks said...

This is gorgeous Caroline, I'm so pleased people are having a go and with such excellent results! Thank you for stopping by!!

Anonymous said...

So nice and warm!
Christmasy Pointsettias!

steve said...

So wonderful and festive. If only I had more time to do the same. Looks like I'll be buying mine unfortunately. I'm so behind. Anyway, what a treat it would be to receive one of these!

Tony LaRocca said...

I once sent out a set of Kirk & Spock Christmas cards. Wish I could find them again. Yours are very sweet.

Johnnynorms said...

Very rich and luminous spread. I almost feel Christmassy now!

Caroline said...

Ian - I love it when people do send me their own cards - but I certainly understand that it can be too time-consuming - some people don't find the time to even write and send shop bought ones!

Joy Eliz - thank you! I was very impressed too.

TInker & Andrea - maybe next year we could get together to make a mess and maybe even produce some art too... what fun that would be! Ah I'm beginning to dream of a visit to North America...

Tinker - being a mucky puppy yourself - do you like getting your hands muddy when gardening too?

Andrea - I bet those cards were wonderful - but also hard to photograph! Glad you liked Kala's tutorial site - I subscribed a while ago but have only, in this newly discovered need to learn from others, done anything from it!

Kala - and thank you so much. It really is fun to be playing with your ideas.

Cream - Yes I hadn't seen them as Poinsettias but that's a good way of describing them - especially the most flowery one.

Steve - send me your address and you may end up with one...

Tony Larocca - I'd love a Kirk and Spock card! Mine are, unfortunately only begun... lots more to do to turn these into cards.

Johnnynorms - it takes making my cards to get me feeling Christmassy - its probably why I do it despite the time it takes and the mess it makes - oh and the fun it is!!!

Anonymous said...

very vibrant and brilliant composition!guess it a bit of a time-consuming technique...
:)

Caroline said...

Aynaku - thank you - not all that time-consuming - the pages here will be cut up to provide backgrounds for 16-20 cards each.

Reluctant Nomad said...

I want one!!!!!!!!!

Caroline said...

Janet I got your message but it isn't showing here - was this where you left it? Hope you can get into the spirit of Christmas before its all over!

Caroline said...

And I forgot to mention Mr Nomad that I have posted your a card.