Wednesday, January 18, 2006

MMM: This is Me

MMM: This is Me

A journal page for a Mixed Media Memoir. This week's theme is "This is Me". For other people's pages see:

Mixed Media Memoirs

It is being organised by Melba. And you might like to check out her vision for it.




This page is made from a heap of my old (mostly) unused pictures. The waters of my not conscious self are covering up this mountain leaving a very small amount at the top to show my conscious self. I am sitting on top and fishing for clues. A friendly fish is patiently attempting to do a self-portrait of itself for me.

Fish - Detail
Behind me is a dog howling at the moon. And walking on the water is a strange being that I do not really know who or what it is.




The text in the water says:

The many bodies of Eve
By which we do deceive
First ourselves and then
The others who behold us


I wrote this in one of my journals last year whilst wondering about self-portraits.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent. Like the composition and color. Everything comes together.

WCTs said...

Wow...your work is great! I love this entire piece of work.

Many thanks for the Bday wishes!

The Unknown said...

This is wonderful stuff. The pic is mesmerizing. :-)
love

Caroline said...

Blogger is being odd ... again....

Melba - how kind of you to say so! I really enjoyed doing it - its very personal and I wasn't expecting anyone else to care about it all!

Janey - thank you - I just wish the dog didn't have quite such a long nose but it insisted that it did ;-)

Lyn - thank you. Hope you had a really good day.

Unknown - thank you, too. You are going to sleep... your eyes are popping out and you are feeling very relazzzzzzzzz....

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

This reminds me so much of the manuscript I'm working on, especially the figure in the background.

Quite thought provoking, Caro.

The Tart said...

ain't no mountian high enough! what a fish

isay said...

so creative! i like the fish and the effects on the rock esp. above.

Wandering Coyote said...

This could also be a tarot card, though I'm not sure how I'd write it up.

Have you thought of doing that as a career, by the way?

Anonymous said...

wowzers, this is utterly amazing caroline. i'm loving this piece. i really love the bird at the center of your mountain and the friendly fish painting a self-portrait. great work!!!

Caroline said...

GG - if you know who the figure in the background is perhaps you could let me know, please!

Joli noir perle - that's right - I started off thinking about ice berg but that was too cold to sit on...

Shane - thanks - I love the imagination!

isay - thanks isay I like those bits too!

wandering coyote - I'm not sure yet... which career? I've tried reading tarot for others - the first time round it was scary, the second time around I spent more than I made - maybe I'll try again some time...

Kat - thanks! I'm really glad I did it and utterly amazed that others are interested in it! After all this is me....

TheTart said...

Fireman loves this one!

Smooch,
The Tart

Anonymous said...

You have an amazing imagination to pull this together artistically, not to mention the words. I really like the colors and the patterns. That strange being looks threatening, or maybe not since he appears to be passing by unaware of you.

Caroline said...

Jody - is Fireman the new man in your life?

Hi Nan - good to see you back from your trip - what worries me about that strange being is that within the picture I seem to be totally unaware of it... even though that area is technically my conscious part... maybe it will all become clearer as I work through this journal project... and this is the first book I've committed to doing... though without intendeing it for anyone other than me and this blog!