Friday, February 10, 2006

How did you find me?

Joy
Last Friday Reluctant Nomad did a posting showing some of the most popular google searches which led to his blog. On Wednesday Andrea did a clustermaps posting. Between them both they've prompted me to actually look at what has brought new people to my site and also to ponder the difference between clustermaps and sitemeter. I've had both up for a while and although clustermaps displays blobs for visits as its included image I prefer sitemeter's world map as I can point at the dots and get more information - if you can do that with clustermaps it has eluded me....

Here are the most recent searches that sitemeter has noted for visitors to my site:

google - year of the fire dog - Chinese Year of the Fire Dog! - most popular by far

aol search - cats and the effects of dye - I doubt that this posting will have helped... Illustration Friday - Cats

yahoo search - how to outline pictures in corel painter Ix - a persistent person this as my site featured on the 5th page of the search... and despite all my Painter IX mentions this posting won't have helped... - Halloween 2005

google - "making treasure maps" - more persistence as my site was on the 4th page - Treasure and maps

MSN search - CARO - my blog

Blogs Illustrated - 260th in the list - my blog

google - caroline said - I have no idea why Illustration Friday - E is for... should come up rather than any other posting!

google - caro+bristol - Dawn

So what are your favourite maps, meters or other things to furnish your blog with?

What have I missed that will make my life, or at least my blog, complete?

9 comments:

Caroline said...

The big yellow blob at the top of this posting was something I created last year in response to the word "joy".

kyknoord said...

As long as you have rhythm and music...

Caroline said...

I like to dance...

andrea said...

I like using the map on Site Meter, too, except that it only shows most recent visitors. I'm just an all-around map geek! fascinating looking at the google searches, isn't it? I don't do that often but when I do they seem as strange as the reults of googling your name and 'needs' right after it.

Reluctant Nomad said...

As regards free map thingies, you could try 'My Blogmap' that shows blogs situated close to you - check my blog. Clustr map will become a new obsession of mine but it probably won't override my flag obsession from neocounter. It's free for two weeks after which it will only show the flags of visitors online at the time you look. To keep the list of flags of past visitors, you need to pay - a mere $5 or something like that.

Cluster map is great for a 'big picture' visualisation but sitemeter is better for the other stats you get, particularly how people got there via searches.

Incidentally, blogging for 5 months has produced a mountain of stuff! I'm slowly getting there...:-)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I have sitemeter...but I think, I don't remember, I think it was a comment of yours on Cream's blog that led me here.

Caroline said...

Andrea - I won't be getting rid of clustermaps just yet either - even if I'm not admitting to be quite so into maps as you!

Reluctant Nomad - now that flag one sounds like fun... and I thought I'd just produced a few pictures... ;-)

GG - I thought I'd found you when I was chasing a tag back to source or following it on from vit? Does that ring a bell? But then maybe it was Cream who was the connection... not sure...

Pat said...

And I came via GG's comment box.

Catnapping said...

lotsa people come to my blog in search of "sex with my neighbor."