Thursday, February 16, 2006

Ace of Birds

Ace of Birds
This afternoon I had a siesta. And as I was waking up I "got" four images and what they meant. I recalled that Wandering Coyote had suggested that some of my pictures would make good "tarot" cards and realised that these cards could be the start of a set.

This is the first of the cards. I am clearly being influenced by a set I already have which has birds in it however I am not planning on recreating their pictures or meanings though I cheerfully acknowledge and am grateful for their inspiration.

The Ace of Birds

This bird represents healing through appropriate nourishment of the body and soul. It is not taking medicine but good food.

It also shows how others die to enable us to live. All the food we eat once lived, even cabbages.

Ace of BirdsWe also benefit from all the work of our ancestors, if you look at a family tree the number of people getting together to make you is astonishing! And thus this card is also about giving thanks to our ancestors.


1-bird-01I don't know what the reversed meaning might be - any suggestions?

Other suggestions for what the upright means would also be appreciated!

15 comments:

Reluctant Nomad said...

The reversed bird could represent a hook, a rather aggressive symbol but also a symbol of food in the sense of fishing for food.

I've set you lots of homework!

Reluctant Nomad said...

I think you got there before I even hinted that you go there and before I managed to correct a few mistakes.

I look forward to your answers - have fun, if that's the right word!

Wandering Coyote said...

I am so glad you decided to persue this, Caro, because I think it's just such a great idea (well, I did suggest it!) and you are so well suited to the task!

The reverse could me a blockage or inaccessibility to proper nourishment, or too much nourishment... Not sure.

BTW: my interpretation of the George Stroumboulopoulos thing is that he is obviously God. :)

Catma said...

Wow what a cool idea, I am impressed. I am not that familiar with the tarot that I could make a meaningful contribution. I am eager to see the next one.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful image! I think the cards are a great idea as well. The reversed one seems to be choking, so maybe not being able to acccept goodness, or ungroundedness (if that's even a word)!

Willie Baronet said...

I love your work! And the pic of the frogs is familiar, since I have a small pond and the sound of frog love sometimes keeps me up at night!

Caroline said...

Reluctant Nomad - I was here and ready at just the right time... and I think the idea of force feeding might be appropriate... thank you.

Wandering Coyote - yes it is a good idea, thank you!... I've got three more to put up as I get them drawn - I'll have to trust that the rest will come.... your suggestions are good... I'll keep them in mind... more thanks!

Catma - familiarity with the actual tarot isn't necessary - what I'm asking for what the image suggests to you - how you might associate meaning with it.

Rose - more great ideas - you are right choking feels relevant and I'm sure ungroundedness is a word, I've used it before!

Rramone - hello! Croak!

Sleep Goblin said...

I came here from your post on Willie's site. I don't have much time to look through everything tonight, but so far, I love it!

Caroline said...

Thanks sleep goblin!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hm..."reverse" usually is the opposite, isn't it? So maybe that's it, the opposite.

We have a bird that looks similar to this one with the curly 'hair'...the powis.

Caroline said...

GG - but what is the opposite - so many people have different ideas of what an opposite is that it seems appropriate to fish for more information.... ;-)

I did a search for powls but did not find any birds. Have you a reference for one?

andrea said...

I want more! How many cards are there, typically in a Tarot deck?

Caroline said...

Andear you don't expect me to do a "typical" deck do you?

But as you ask there are:
22 major arcana cards (numbered from 0 to 21) and then there are 56 minor arcana in 4 suits so that's a total of 78 cards.

andrea said...

That'll keep you busy! I said typical because I needed a ballpark figure knowing there's no way you'd EVER be typical, Carlone. :)

Joy Eliz said...

Beautiful card!
Reverse, I would say...
An unbalance of body, mind and soul. Body-nutrition, mind-negative energies, soul-neglect of true self, roots etc.